1. Veterans Day honors __________.
a.) anyone who has been in the military
b.) people who died in wars
c.) soldiers who are now dead
2. Veterans Day is ___________.
a.) a special day, but not an official holiday
b.) a national holiday
c.) a religious holiday
3. The U.S. chose November 11 as Veterans Day because it ___________.
a.) makes us think about veterans before the winter holidays begin
b.) is the day America went to war
c.) is the day the fighting stopped in WWI
stops fighting for a short while.
is the anniversary of the beginning of a conflict.
declares one side in a conflict the winner.
4. The number 11 is special because the armistice started ___________.
a.) in the 11th month of the year
b.) on the 11th day of the 11th month of the year
c.) at 11:00 on the 11th day of the 11th month of the year
5. An armistice is a __________.
6. The name "Armistice Day" was changed to "Veterans Day" to __________.
a.) honor all people who had served in the military
b.) change the focus from war to people who fought for peace
c.) make it easier to understand the purpose of the day
7. Today there are how many veterans in the United States?
8. Originally, President Wilson planned to celebrate Veterans Day with _________.
a.) parades and other gatherings
c.) a moment of silence
9. On Veterans Day, Americans are supposed to ________.
a.) thank veterans
b.) celebrate peace
c.) remember our wars