1. Pismo Beach has the most _____________ of any other butterfly grove in the world.
2. The male monarch butterfly has _________________________, and the female does not.
two black dots on its wings
two yellow dots on its wings
3. The Pismo Beach butterflies come from as far away as _______________.
4. These butterflies can fly _____________ miles an hour at their fastest.
5. They come to Pismo Beach because _________________________________.
Pismo Beach is hot and humid
the grove offers protection from cold weather
they want to be near the ocean
6. They arrive in Pismo Beach in the _______________, and they leave in the ______________.
7. The monarchs _____________________________ the milkweed plant.
stay over winter in
lay their eggs in
**** Verb Tense Review: Simple Present and Simple Future with Will ****
1. When the caterpillar ______________ about two inches long, it will stop eating and begin looking for a place to make its chrysalis. The chrysalis, or cocoon, is the case the caterpillar lives in during its next phase.
2. It takes a caterpillar about twelve hours to build himself into his chrysallis. It _______________ in the chrysalis for about eight days.
3. About a day before the butterfly ______________ out of the chrysalis, you can see its wings under the green shell.
4. The butterfly cannot immediately fly after it ______________ out of its chrysalis. Its wings are wet, and they must dry in the sun for about twenty minutes.
5. When its wings are dry, it will catch the wind and fly away. ______________________ back next year.