ESL Video Quiz: The Dress by Dawn BellQuiz #: 32856
Dawn tells us about a dress her mother and father made for her.
Reading • Phrasal Verbs
Quiz by rmd
This ESL Video quiz titled, "The Dress by Dawn Bell," is for advanced English as a Second Language students who are studying English online to develop fluency in English.
The Dress by Dawn Bell
Quiz #: 32856
1. "My childhood __________________ are more like snapshots than videos. Snippets of _________________ linger as sights, sounds, and smells in my mind."
2. "I can _________ the sound of the air conditioner humming at my grandmother's house during nap time, or see the big derricks in the oilfields where we used to play, or ____________ my mother's oatmeal cake baking in the oven."
3. "Why certain memories _____________ while others fade, I'm not really sure. The orange dress, though, is a memory that has stood the test of time for me."
4. "I'm not even really sure how old I was, maybe around seven. The ______________ school was having a fashion show, and to ______________ your mother had to make a dress."
5. "My mother had many ___________, but sewing wasn't one of them. _______________ that I wanted to participate, though, she cheerfully made an attempt because that was the way my mother was."
6. "She chose a simple _____________. The ____________ was an orange print with tiny flowers, and there was solid orange rickrack to match."
7. "One evening my mom began __________ the dress."
8. "She was struggling with the pattern when my dad came home from work one night. My dad, not being the genteel type, brusquely said, "_______________________________"
9. "He was a parachute rigger in the Navy, so he knew how to ________________ sewing machines and put them back together, as well how to operate one.
10. "I'm sure my mother was happy to turn the project ___________ to him."
11. "On the day of the show, each girl walked across the ______________ and the master of ceremonies said a few words about her frock."
12. "You could hear a soft delighted __________ from the audience when it was announced that this dress had been made by her father."
13. "That was such a long time ago. My dad recently ______________ the details of the __________ for me since my mom has passed away.
14. "My only true memory is standing on stage wearing that orange peasant dress with the rickrack trim and ___________ special.
15. Question: Where did Dawn's father work?
17. Question: Did Dawn like the dress?
"Thank you" notes for the quiz makers are appreciated. You can use the FB Comments box below to leave a message (without actually posting to FB if preferred). It's nice to hear from you. Thank you for using eslvideo.com 😊