Quiz by: esale
Hello and welcome to a very special place for anybody who likes to see armour in actions.
The unique Muckleburgh Collection on the East coast of England. With over 150 tanks, guns and vehicles, plus thousands of other military exhibits, Muckleburgh is the largest private collection of its kind in europe. And it’s certainly one of the best locations I’ve ever seen for watching tanks on the move, with thousands of acres of unspoilt land running all the way down to the sea.
Muckleburgh has a long military history for guarding Britain’s east coast from invasion.
In the 1st World War, the area became a front line defence with hundreds of troops housed here supported by pillboxes, gun emplacements and trenches.
In 1936 and during World War II it became an anti-aircraft artillery base for the purpose of shooting down German bombers and was still in operation all the way up until nineteen fifty-eight.
The original world war two gun pits are still here and have recently been restored and re-equipped with a 3.7 inch anti-aircraft gun effective up to 25 000 feet and a 40 mm bofors L70.
The camp was even visited by sir Winston Churchill in 1941. What I love about this place is the sheer variety of kits. There are warplanes, missiles and it houses a fabulous collection of military models and dioramas, and a huge collection of ammunition. Lots of artillery too. Muckleburgh houses one of the best armour collections to be found anywhere, most of it still running. There is a very nice T34/85, a sherman grizzly, an M5 stuart, and an M24 chaffee, and just recently restored this absolutely mint comet. And there is this churchill seven due for restoration next year. In our next three episodes of inside the tanks, we are going to be taking a closer look at the M5 stuart, the M24 chaffee, and also the M47 and T55. Watch this space.
- Armoured / ˈɑːmə / = blindé
- The East coast of England /ði iːst kəʊst ɒv ˈɪŋglənd/ = La côte Est de l’Angleterre
- guns and vehicles /gʌnz ænd ˈviːɪklz/ = canons et véhicules
- kind /kaɪnd/ = genre
- acres of unspoilt land running all the way down to the sea /ˈeɪkəz ɒv ʌnˈspɔɪlt lænd ˈrʌnɪŋ ɔːl ðə weɪ daʊn tuː ðə siː/ = des hectares de terre préservés arrivant jusqu’à la mer
- guarding Britain’s east coast from invasion /ˈgɑːdɪŋ ˈbrɪtnz iːst kəʊst frɒm ɪnˈveɪʒən/ = préservant la côte Est anglaise des invasions
- 1st World War /1st wɜːld wɔː/ = 1ère guerre mondiale
- anti-aircraft artillery base for the purpose of shooting /ˈænti-ˈeəkrɑːft ɑːˈtɪləri beɪs fɔː ði ˈpɜːpəs ɒv ˈʃuːtɪŋ/ = Une base anti-aérienne dans le but de tirer
- German bombers /ˈʤɜːmən ˈbɒməz/ = bombardiers allemands
- by Sir Winston Churchill /baɪ sɜː ˈwɪnstən ˈʧɜːʧɪl / = Par Sir Winston Churchill
- this place is the sheer variety of kits /ðɪs pleɪs ɪz ðə ʃɪə vəˈraɪəti ɒv kɪts/ = Cet endroit est le seul, avec une telle variété d’équipements
- Warplanes /wɔːpleɪnz/ = avions de guerre
- dioramas /ˌdaɪəˈrɑːməz/ = diorama
- ammunition /ˌæmjʊˈnɪʃ(ə)n/ = munitions